I just had some random thoughts for the day while I was trying to prepare for an up and coming talk for this weekend. I was just writing stuff down and I thought I was on to something. When I reached 10 bullet points, I said I might as well share this to people and turn it into a blog. I ended up with 30 tips, I think I can do another batch of this if this is something that you guys will enjoy. These are things that I follow for my own personal finances, businesses, investments and life in general. I really do hope that this helps you wherever you are in life as my greatest goal is to uplift more and more Filipinos. That truly no Filipino gets left behind in our awesome economic recovery.
God bess you and have a great day ahead!
Catch me in my live training events! (quick plug)
The heart of why I do this seminars is I want to build a generation of Filipinos with the right foundation in stock investing. I want to bring smart investing to every Filipino around the world! If you would like to know more on how you could time the market checkout the trainings below.
Stock Smarts Qatar — February 5 – 10, 2019
Make Money, Grow Money (Manila) – February 13, 2019
Stock Smarts Manila — March 9, 10, 16, 17 & 23, 2019
Stock Smarts Cebu — April 6 & 7, 2019
Investing Insights Japan – April 13, 2019
Stock Smarts Singapore — May 11 & 12, 2019
Stock Smarts Iloilo – July 6 & 7, 2019
Stock Smarts Cagayan De Oro – July 20 & 21, 2019
Stock Smarts Hong Kong – August 11, 2019
Stock Smarts Taiwan – November 2, 2019
1. I budget my funds regardless of how big or small it is.
I have been budgeting my income for 11 years now. The key to grow and preserve wealth is really by budgeting the money that comes your way. You budget regardless if you have a lot of money or if you have no money. Budgeting creates a discipline to handle your money well and it will protect you from spending too much.
2. If I can’t afford it, I just walk away.
As hard as it may sound, this has protected me from a lot of unwanted spending.
3. Whenever I have income, I make it a priority to save first.
For the past 11 years of working, I have always made a point that I save money whenever income comes my way. Regardless of how small it is, I would always set aside money for saving.
4. I try to make sure I cover my operational expenses first.
This is very important specially for people like me who are unemployed. Since I do not have a fixed salary like what employees have, I make sure that I cover at least 1 year’s worth of my operational expenses. This is on top of my emergency fund and this gives me enough buffer to breath and conduct my businesses and trades aggressively.
5. I give my wife a shopping budget.
Happy wife. Happy Life. She is my greatest investment. What’s amazing though is that, through my 5 years of married life, she has always followed the budget.
6. I allot a travel budget because my wife loves to travel.
Same reason as above.
7. Since food is important to me and my wife, we have factored it into our budget to eat out.
8. I make it a priority to set aside money for my “giving fund.”
It’s not about how much we earn and save but how we make what we have impact the world around us. I try as much as possible to allocate funds to be a blessing to the people around me.
9. I tithe.
Tithing is believing that God is in control of your finances. That He will do more with just 90% than me keeping the entire 100%. It me responding to how much God loves me.
10. I try to use my investments to hit financial goals that I want.
The stock market is there to allow me to rest whenever I want to rest. I love the passive income that dividends give.
11. I only go into business ventures with people I trust and I know I can have fun with.
12. I only will go into businesses that I am passionate about.
13. If I am not passionate about that business, I need to have a partner that is passionate about it.
14. I spend most of the time focusing on things that I am passionate about.
15. I try to surround myself with people who will speak life into me.
You are only as good as the people you are close to. You are the average of the 5 people you interact with the most. Don’t go with people who will treat you like trash. Go with people who will add value to you and will help you achieve your potential.
16. I always listen to my wife before making any big financial decision.
This is the best advise I can give you. Listen to your spouse. It may not make sense all the time but it will save you a lot of money later on in life. This applies for a large purchase, for an investment, for you venturing into a new business or even a big career shift.
17. I’ve realised that eating healthy will cost more in the short term but will save you more in the long term.
Keto is the best!
18. The greatest investment that I can have is not how much I save up but the richness of the relationships that I develop in life.
19. I won’t go into debt to buy something I do not need.
I try to save up and work hard to buy something that I want. No matter if it takes me years to be able to buy it I will wait for the time that I have the money.
20. If I can’t afford it but I really like it, I will find a way to earn more so I can buy it.
21. I believe in working hard and working smart.
22. But I also believe that it is God who brings the increase not my own efforts.
23. I am okay to spend more on something that will help me on business than something cheap but it won’t help me generate revenue at all.
24. It’s amazing to hustle in your 30s so you can enjoy the world more in your 40s.
25. I think condos are amazing specially if you like to travel more, it allows you to easily leave your place with minimal supervision and you have great security.
26. I like REITs as it give me exposure into real estate with the liquidity of a stock.
Since there are no REITs yet in the Philippines, the best place to invest is in Singapore.
27. I love speaking in seminars regardless how big or small the crowd is as it allows me to pursue my passion.
28. Cash is still king.
People think that when you have cash laying around that is a bad use of money. That inflation will eat it. If you have other investments already, don’t be scared to have cash, cash gives you options. Cash will protect you should there be any emergencies that may come your way.
29. I love term insurance as it allows me to hedge and protect me at a very minimal cost.
I suggest that everyone get insurance. It is cheap, affordable and it will help protect you and your love ones.